Here are basic meditation instructions to get you started meditating quickly. As we progress, we will adjust this practice and add other exercises to it to further train our mind.
- Sit comfortably, either on a chair, a cushion or a meditation bench.
- Keep your back, neck and head straight for the duration of the sit.
- Make sure that your knees, sitting bones, and back are properly supported.
- Close your eyes. This will make it easier to concentrate
2. Relax and prepare
- While maintaining a straight back, relax your face, arms, shoulders, abdomen and legs. Release any tension.
- Take a moment to appreciate this time away from tasks and concerns. You’re offering yourself a gift: enjoy it!
- Regardless of what happens, resolve to practice seriously for the entire meditation session. Distractions are inevitable, but we must not indulge in them.
- Breathe through your nose as naturally as possible. Don’t intentionally control the breath.
- Turn your attention to the breathing sensations around your nostrils and upper lip.
- Allow your attention to stay centered on these sensations, but don’t suppress other experiences. It is perfectly normal to keep hearing sounds, feeling physical sensations or experiencing thoughts.
- Keep your attention centered on the sensations of breathing at the nose for as long as possible.
- After a few breaths, your mind will get distracted. This is natural, so don’t feel frustrated about it.
- As soon as you recognize the mind has wandered away, take a moment to appreciate this instant of clarity. Doing so will positively reinforce the mind’s ability to become aware of itself.
- Once you have appreciated this recognition, bring your attention back to the breath at the nose.